Tuesday, January 7, 2014

It is only fitting that the person I consider my social media mentor, Claire Thompson (@clthompson) has tagged me in a meme that is circulating around, and perhaps given me the kick in the pants I need to start blogging again. Thanks for thinking of me Claire.

I have been asked to write about the following:

11 Random facts about yourself
11 questions asked by another
11 question that you ask another
11 people in your PLN.......so here goes:

11 Random Facts About Me

1. My bucket list includes building an authentic igloo and spending the night in it. (How's that for random?) 
2. I regularly fall asleep during the last ten minutes of a movie (or the first ten minutes).
3. I was diagnosed with narcolepsy in my twenties (explaining #2).
4. I grew up on an 800 acre guest ranch in the North Okanagan so although I never went to Disneyland as a child, I had my own horse, I have camped in a teepee, and I have been in a one-horse open sleigh. 
5. Apparently I occasionally laugh like Betty Rubble. 
6. I have the inability to hum a proper tune to literally any song. Just ask anyone who has played Cranium with me. 
7. On a daily basis I wonder how I helped create two of the most beautiful, smart, talented and funny children I know. 
8. The first teaching job I had was at my former high school. It took me the better part of three years to call several of my former teachers who were now colleagues by their first name. 
9. Despite having flat feet, I am surprisingly athletic and playing sports is where I find my flow, my zone, my happy place. 
10. The view from my kitchen window includes a large tree where two bald eagles return every year.
11. I am left-handed and for this I blame my inability to cut a straight line or to be able to show my son how to tie his shoes. 

11 Questions Asked by Claire (here)

  1. What lead to you becoming an educator? I loved school, love learning and couldn't imagine a better way to make a living than aspiring to instill a love of learning in others. A cliched response I know, but that's really it. 
  2. If you hadn’t become an educator, what would you have done instead? I almost took a course to be a paralegal instead. I would have been soo bad at that. 
  3. Are you concerned about student privacy and security with regards to cloud computing?  For example, do you have any reservations about students using Google Apps or other cloud based services? Privacy and security should always be a concern but better that students learn how to participate in the cloud with our guidance. Having said that, I teach highschool and would be much more hesitant if I worked with younger children. 
  4. What was the first ‘real’ job that you had? I worked for a landscaping company doing maintenance. I was in such good shape. 
  5. What is your current favourite book, movie and / or album? Current favourite movie: Anchorman 2. I love parodies and this one was so over the top. 
  6. What did you always want to be when you grew up? A teacher. That's it. 
  7. What is the strangest food that you’ve ever eaten?  I'm drawing a blank. Note to self: Try some strange food in 2014. 
  8. If you could sit down and talk with any person, living or dead, who would it be and why. Oh that is just not a fair question. Can I make it cocktail party?
  9. How far away do you live from where you grew up? About 3 hours. 
  10. What is your favourite way to unplug and unwind? To go sit on my dock (any season) and just sit in silence and look, really look, at the nature around me. 
  11. Salty or sweet? Both at the same time. Eg Chocolate covered pretzels or a salad with cashews and pears. 

11 Questions from me:

1. What is the one thing that you hope your students learn about learning?
2. If you knew you couldn't fail, what is one thing you would try that you haven't?
3. What is the best prank you have pulled or has been pulled on you?
4. What is your favorite ice-cream flavour?
5. What is your best "pro-d" experience that occurred outside of a typical pro-d setting?
6. Name two people that have influenced you as an educator and explain how. 
7. Finish this sentence: I am surprised that....
8. Now finish this one: Nothing makes me laugh out loud more than.....
9. Who is one of your  favourite comedians?
10. What musician or band would you go out of your way to see (that you haven't already).
11. What is one of your favourite quotes? 

My 11 "victims": I've chosen a variety of people. Those I have worked closely with, acquaintances I would like to have coffee with someday to get to know better, and just for kicks some people for whom I have never come across their radar but have appreciated their contributions more than once. 


@? maybe one of you can send this to a random newbie blogger that needs something to write about. :)

Here’s how it works:

  1. Acknowledge the nominating blogger.
  2. Share 11 random facts about yourself.
  3. Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
  4. List 11 bloggers.
  5. Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer, and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. Don’t nominate a blogger who has nominated you.
Post back here. 




2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad you took on the challenge. Under '11 Random Facts About Me' I love #7.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! I just saw this... stay tuned... @margoflower

    ReplyDelete